Ibn Ashir’s Concise Guide to the Basics of Deen (al-Murshid al-Muin)
Al-Murshid al-Muin – the Concise Guide to the Basics of the Din – is a widely recognised primary text for learning Islam in North Africa. In it the author, Abd al-Wahid ibn Ashir, summarises in verse the three sciences of Islam, Iman and Ihsan.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
On successful completion of this course, students will:
- have understood the foundational articles of Sunni belief.
- have acquired a good understanding of the core integrals of laws pertaining to personal worship according to the Maliki School.
- have gained a good understanding of the path of Sufism and its necessary requirements.
In these lectures students will learn:
- The essentials of Sunni-Ashari Creed
- The integrals of the Pillars of Islam according to the Maliki School.
- The essentials of spiritual development and behavioural refinement according to the path of Junayd al-Baghdadi.
- The text of al-Murshi al-Muin.
- Reading the course materials.
- Preparing to contribute to class discussions.